"Religion is a hypothesis about the world: the hypothesis that things are the way they are, at least in part, because of supernatural entities or forces acting on the natural world. And there's no good reason to treat it any differently from any other hypothesis. Which includes pointing out its flaws and inconsistencies, asking its adherents to back it up with solid evidence, making jokes about it when it's just being silly, offering arguments and evidence for our own competing hypotheses...and trying to persuade people out of it if we think it's mistaken. It's persuasion. It's the marketplace of ideas. Why should religion get a free ride"

Greta Christina

Friday 14 January 2011

Papal "miracle" will make John Paul II a saint

Now I suppose I shouldn’t care. If Ratzinger wants to make his predecessor a saint, then good luck to him.
But the pretext for doing so is laughable. Apparently a Nun, allegedly suffering from Parkinsons disease prayed to the deceased John Paul II and was cured.
This “miracle” cure was verified by church appointed doctors. That presumably is because no independent self-respecting doctor would commit to endorsing such a thing. But in any event it seems the circumstances are not quite so clear-cut.
last year there were some doubts about the validity of the miracle. A Polish newspaper said that a doctor who scrutinised the nun's case had concluded that she might have been suffering not from Parkinson's, but from a nervous disorder from which temporary recovery is medically possible.
Which seems a more plausible explanation.
Now John Paul was a likeable bloke; more than you can say for the current pontiff and if the Catholic Church want to bestow it’s highest but ultimately meaningless honour upon him that’s their decision. It would in fact be more of an accolade if they were to celebrate his actual achievements in life rather than imaginary ones in death, but that’s magical thinking for you.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I ask a man you are proud of yourself you realize what you do? have you at all reason and human dignity? I do not know, but a pathetic fellow with you unless you did not think even what you do and who to insult, you could offend those what it deserved but our Polish Pope of our fellow great person, and so unique and important because it is not such a person there that you can laugh at yourself because you like it so I do not know what family you grow up but I guess you do not I do not understand what faith is. if you think you're wonderful you are a mere tip of isolating someone even from society, I do not know what it is so funny but czepcie to Stalin or Hitler or any other degenerates and does not cling to the sacred person as Pope John Paul 2. as you can at all publicly post the pictures on these forums? I ask who should answer for it because unless you can see that the church is not like you're an atheist, I do not know or believe to some sect or maybe you're at all a servant of Satan and the Pope will not do this, is you think you are some I do not know what's jarasz stakeholders, Satan. wez think the pope as he did, he was someone Who are you to do it the ridicule it? Who gave you the right to insult our pope at all? thought at all over that this is not such a person that her laugh and I will be all praise? Take your child really are some psycholek because unlike you, this pope is an authority for me and you do not know whose authority can be the same unless some fools like you who do not know what the church and religion, we can see that you do not pray and do not go for religions to school, we can see no respect for religion, I do not know how you like it you get your picture you put wonder if you would dare. wezta the children really think about what you roicie I can see you have no idea who he was Pope John paweł2 as you are not in fully developed mentally it will not get a hold of that person as the Holy Father because it proves that you have no home except the cross of a single insult the holy is not about me, but the church at all generally on the principles of faith to have some dignity because the Pope did not offend anyone and you insult him for what what? Come on, say for every insult that person as the Holy Father? not my words but if you have an idea though, and picked up the Bible and reckoned it could itself would be changed. do not know go to church a long time because you can see Satan is in you man, you do not like This church, though I sit quietly and do not offend other people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thank you for taking the time to comment. I don't think I have insulted JP2 at all, As I say he was a likeable enough bloke, and to the best of my knowledge had a humanistic side that is to be applauded. I do not believe he had a line to God as obviously that deity is a myth like all the others.
    Ratzinger is a different kettle of fish. He has knowingly presided over the cover up of serious sexual abuse by his clergy yet deins to moralise on behalf of the rest of us.
    Yes I think the catholic church is a force for evil, yes I think its notions of saints and transubstantaition are ridiculous and I have every right to say so. If you choose to be offended by that, that is your choice. intellectually I would prefer that you questioned your own beliefs as I constantly test my own, but again that is your choice. Once again, thank you for reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete